What is the Creative Curriculum®?
- Thematic approach to teaching and learning
Designed to support children’s natural curiosity and stimulate their creativity.
- Based on well known theories of child development.
- Offers children the opportunity to work in depth, giving them the time they need to reflect, consolidate and transfer their learning.
- The Creative Curriculum meets all of the criteria for a developmentally appropriate early childhood curriculum.
Goals of the Curriculum
The most important goals of our preschool curriculum are for children to get along well with others and become enthusiastic learners. We want children to become independent, self-confident, curious learners who can work well with others. We’re teaching them how to learn, not just in preschool, but all through their lives. We do this by creating purposeful and productive play experiences that help children grow in all areas.
Our curriculum identifies goals in four areas of development:
- Social/emotional: to help children develop independence, self-confidence, and self-control, follow rules and routines, make friends, and learn what it means to be part of a group.
- Physical: to increase children’s large muscle skills – balancing, running, jumping, throwing, and catching – and use the small muscles in their hands to do tasks like buttoning, stringing beads, cutting, drawing, and writing.
- Cognitive: to acquire thinking skills such as the ability to solve problems, to ask questions, and to think logically – sorting, classifying, comparing, counting, and making patterns – and to use materials and their imagination to show what they have learned.
- Language: to use words to communicate with others, listen to and participate in conversations with others, understand the purpose of print, recognize letters and words, and begin writing for a purpose.
Through the activities we plan and the way we organize the classroom, select toys and materials, plan the daily schedule, communicate with children and assess progress, we seek to accomplish the goals of our curriculum and give your child a successful start in school.